Saturday, January 2, 2010

Things I Learned From Being Home for the Holidays


I love being home. It's my sanctuary. And when I refer to home, I'm talking about my parents' house in Oroville, California. As interesting as Oroville is, my family is ten times more so. It is in honor of my family that my latest Top Ten list is written:

Top Ten Things I learned from Being Home For the Holidays

10. Even though friends can be separated for months at a time without speaking, when placed together again, it’s as though they were never apart.

9. It is impossible to eat until one explodes. (“I’m pretty sure we eventually have to stop eating.” and “I cannot do chips and salsa. If I try, I’m pretty sure I’ll bust at the seams and vomit all over you.”)

8. If you run out of Henry Weinhard’s Root Beer, it’s perfectly acceptable to drive all over town looking for some more.

7. The holidays would be much nicer with a man (other than my brother and father). Sadly, I was in Oroville.

6. Christmas morning can be just as enjoyable if all three people sleep in till they feel like getting up.

5. No matter how much time you plan on having at home, it’s never enough to get everything done.

4. Even though nieces and nephews can be picky about food, if it tastes good, they’ll eat it . . . until it’s completely gone (kind of like roommates: if it’s left out, it’s fair game).

3. Marital status and number/age of babies determines rank in bedrooms. I slept on some couch cushions on the floor.

2. The Chico Mall is really small. Really. I was there for twenty minutes and was completely done with visiting all stores that were not Spencer’s, Hot Topic, and Wet Seal.

1. The nice people at the airlines will try really hard not to laugh when you attempt to check in at the airport on the wrong day.

5 comments:

Mikila said...

Haha. I have to laugh at #7, it seems to me that you had a chance at a pleasant walk around some lemon trees with a Mr. Special :)
Loved seeing you!

Than Hancock said...

Michelle,

I had to post and let you know how much I enjoy your blog. Keep the top ten lists coming. I totally agree on the Henry Weinhards root beer.

Thanks for making me laugh every couple of weeks.

Than

LaNell Brown said...

WOW you learned a lot in Oroville. I need to try to learn things when I go home. Promise me we will do the trip together at least once this year.

Mishie Moo said...

Sounds like a plan, LaNell!

mcglone said...

Michelle!! (This is Stacy in case you didn't know.) Your Top Ten lists never cease to make me smile. This list happens to be one of my favorites I think. I love #3. I understand that completely being the youngest. So not fun!!! Oh and I must say I wish I could have seen your face after #1 happened. Classic!! :)