Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"The Pajama Game is the Game I'm In"


If you haven't spoken to me for a while (and why haven't you, because seriously, I thought we were friends) you haven't heard about the show that I'm currently in. It's called "The Pajama Game" and it takes place in the Sleep Tite pajama factory in Illinois. Technically it's a love story, but I don't really have that much to do with that aspect. My character is definitely a background type of individual. However, I have discovered that I am an eyebrow actor (somewhat similar to Michael Keaton). My facial expressions are off the charts. There's even a picture in the hallway of the theater where I'm making some sort of face that is way over the top. My character's name is Brenda, and she's a bit boy-crazy. I like to think of her sort of like myself, but without any common sense, or desire for the preservation of self-dignity. She decorates her sewing machine with pictures of her favorite film stars. It's been really nice because the director has really allowed me to ad lib a lot. Usually, my ad libs get bigger laughs than my written lines.
My absolute favorite character is Vernon Heinze. The actor who plays him is so creative and he can make even the quietest audience burst into the "Emphysema laugh" (you know, they're laughing so hard, it's mostly wheezing).
The show is playing every Friday, Saturday, and Monday until June 27th. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to come.

(photo courtesy of The Daily Herald)

2 comments:

Anna said...

Is it "coming to a town near you (me)" any time soon? I'd love to see it. It's been so long since I've been to a play :(

Carrie Allen said...

Glad your play is going well. It was so great to see you!