Monday, June 1, 2009

Home, Home on the Range


For those who haven't talked to me for a week or two, I've decided that this summer is going to be a time for trying new things (especially different kinds of sports). I have started golfing. And when I say started, I mean just barely. Golfing isn't like basketball or baseball. I don't see little kids golfing in the neighborhood. We don't have ward golfing activities. The only time I've ever seen golf is on tv, right before I quickly change the channel. I figured that anyone who plays golf must be about that good.
I'm wrong. One way I know this is because I now play golf, and I'm not good at all. Technically, I've yet to play an actual round of golf. I've been working on my swing at the driving range, which is where I'd like to focus most of my rant on for today.
This morning, I went, for the first time, all by myself to a driving range (this is my third time). There were only two of us out on the range, and luckily our backs were to each other because the other guy was a leftie. I was feeling pretty good about life, and feeling my skills were getting a bit better, when a truck comes by and dumps off a handful of teenagers all dressed the same. They sat in the grass about 60 feet away from me.
At first, as I'd hoped, they were oblivious to my presence. However, I was trying out some of my irons (my weakest shots definitely), and there was one that I sailed completely over without making any contact.
I heard a snicker from the peanut gallery. One kid had been watching me and he now hit another kid and pointed me out. A few more balls (and not very good hits) and I looked over and the entire crew was watching me.
I decided that I needed to show these folks that I didn't suck completely, so I got out my driver and hit the ball perfectly straight at about 180 yards.
In their face. I actually heard applause coming from their direction, though I wouldn't give them the satisfactions of looking at them.
I tell you this for several reasons:
1. I now hate teenagers
2. I found I can't play golf when I know people are judging me.
3. Actually, I can't really play golf at all, but I will continue trying and hopefully improving until I can play.

1 comment:

LaNell Brown said...

welcome to my world nine months out of the year