Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hijinx at the Annual Softball Game


It's a tradition that the faculty plays softball against the 6th graders at the end of the school year (and yes, I am enjoying my summer break already). As long as I have worked at this school, the faculty has always won.
It is also tradition that on this day of days, I wear my good ol' Las Plumas High School class of '98 Senior shirt. For those of you not blessed to grow up in Oroville, it has a large "98" on the back where all the seniors signed their names (in order to make it much easier to steal all of their identities). I do this for several reasons: 1. to show that I actually look better in the shirt now than I did back then. 2. If I wear the shirt anywhere else, it will show what an old spinster I am. 3. That shirt's dang lucky when it comes to softball games.
We were warming up before the game, and my students (along with most of the other 5th graders and some 4th graders) started chanting "Miss Rotar, Miss Rotar." You get the picture. What I thought was funny was when the chant changed to "Ninety-eight, Ninety-eight."
The students, thinking that 98 was some sort of sports number for me, were trying to be supportive for the game. The chanting actually lasted for a minute or two (which is a lot of chanting for elementary school kids).
And we did win the game.

Thanks to number 98.

3 comments:

Angelee said...

I wear my 98 shirt all the time to the gym. It hasn't brought me any luck yet, but I still love it.

Mikila said...

What kind of luck are you looking for Pilar, you are already married!!!! Michelle, I think its histerical that you still have your shirt! Way to represent!

Carol Joy said...

Ye-uh! You crack me up, I'm glad that you like to represent, and I'd be worried if the 6th graders beat the faculty! Seriously!