Thursday, March 26, 2009

What the World Needs Now is Hugs, Sweet Hugs!


Something I've been thinking about lately is how I like hugs. I like giving them, and I definitely like getting them. Every day my little fifth grader with autism gives me a hug on his way out the door. Even if he's had a hard day where I've had to really push him to get his work done, he shows me he cares by giving me a big ol' bear hug.
Is it growing older that makes us less likely to hug each other? I look at teachers in the younger grades and they pretty much have to scrape little kids from the legs and waists with a spatula. Kids get older and they get less "huggy." Then you have the quite older kids who I feel have stopped hugging altogether. (In case you haven't figured it out, I'm talking about my own age group and older).
So I am hereby calling on all my peers to hug more often. A real hug can make someone's entire day go better. I am personally making a goal to hug more people. If you DON'T want a hug from me, you'll have to fend me off with some type of stick.
And as I tell my fifth graders, it doesn't mean you "love" someone, or you want to marry/date them. It simply a way of telling someone you care.
And if you pat my back when I hug you, I'll elbow you in the esophagus.

5 comments:

Carol Joy said...

LOL! You kill me everytime. Love it. Oh, guess what!? It's about a 90% chance that I'll be coming out to Utah next weekend for Conference, and Austin said that he'll prolly come up...just throwin that out there! I'm uber excited. You'll have to play with us! Dunno for sure how much I'll be down in Provo if much at all. It's a fair group of us coming (if someone will stop being lame and give us the tickets for conference), 3 maybe 4 boys, and 4 girls! Yay! Haha if it ends up being 4 and 4, that could seem like a group date. Crackin me up!
Wow, that was really long, not surprising though.

Mallory said...

"And if you pat my back when I hug you, I'll elbow you in the esophagus."

Hahahaha!

Aw, Michelle, you're the best!

Angelee said...

Mishie~ what about us that don't really like hugging? How do you feel about side hugs?

sarah.liz said...

I'll hug to that! :)

sarah.liz said...

I mean the whole hug thing! I'll hug to that.... and maybe kiss to it too if it's the right person. :)

I LIKE HUGS!