Friday, February 6, 2009

The Truth is That I Look Good in my Hospital Gown


Thought I'd let everyone know that my surgery went really well. My pesky, angry, red gallbladder is out and now I'm well on the way to recovery. I went in yesterday morning, first to get some lab work done, then onto surgery. I had to wait about 2 hours because there was some miscommunication between my surgeon and his office. He thought his appointments started at 8, when they started at 7. But it wasn't too bad waiting. Mom is in town to make sure I don't die or anything and she kept me company. One of the nicest things was the nurse team and staff at the surgical center. I would normally feel a bit scared/nervous (yes, I admit, I occasionally feel scared/nervous), but they were so great. We were joking around and they were really concerned about my pain. And they provided me with an ultra stylish pistachio green hospital gown that as I put on in the bathroom, I actually turned in the mirror and thought "wow, this is really flattering on my figure" without even a touch of sarcasm.
After the surgery was over and I started to come to, I was amazed at how much pain my body could feel. After two shots of morphine, and the pain not relenting much, they gave me two more shots of Demoral until I finally wasn't in agony. Mom says it's preparing me for childbirth (ha!). I was very proud of myself for not screaming or anything, and I even got up and walked around the recovery room without much help. I kept thinking about what my dad always used to say when I was a kid: "Tough as nails, kid. Tough as nails." That was the mantra going through my head.

Anyway, now I'm to the relaxing and resting portion. I had a few visitors last night and I have to say Heavenly Father must love me something fierce because I have the best friends in the whole world. Oh, and if you want to see a picture of my gallbladder, just let me know. Apparently, it was filled with sludge and white particles.
Man, life is good.

12 comments:

reddladybug said...

Cheers to a quick recovery!

LaNell Brown said...

I hope you feel better soon I had no idea you were having surgery. Guess I will forgive you for not answering my text that was inviting you over for Sunday dinner. Some other time after you have recovered. I should come visit but I don't want to make you laugh and have you bust all your stitches:)

Cameron and Katie said...

The hard part is over right? We hope you feel great again soon.

Mikila said...

That is crazy!! Why didn't you let LaNell and I know??? We would have come over and sang a song to brighten your day (you probably would need to go back to the hospital after it was over!) Hope you are feeling better. Take care. Let us know if we can do anything.

Vanessa said...

I'm happy it all went well for you (besides all of the pain...). Hope your recovery is a quick one!

Mallory said...

I'm so glad everything went well, and I can't wait to see you up and about again!

Anonymous said...

Glad everything went well. Hope to see you back at school soon. Harv

The Barth Family Blog said...

Mishie Moo Mishie Moo Mishie Moo Moo Moo!!!
Oh how I love you you you!:)
Get better quick and come visit again

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
We're in collaboration right now, and Harvey showed us your awesome blog. Penny brought two birthday cakes for my birthday today. Sorry you missed your piece. Go ahead and eat something sweet, and it's been declared a no sugar point loss day.
We miss you.
Mike Thompson

Anonymous said...

Hey....so glad you are doing well....

We miss you tons....I not sure I am surviving.....

You sub is doing great.....

Hope you have a speeeeeeedy recovery!!!!

Love Holly

Anonymous said...

Still sitting in collaboration, obviously we are having the most productive day. We miss you and hope you feel better soon.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Mishy Moo Moo. Get better quick and get your hooves back to school!!
-Jory