Sunday, February 1, 2009

Moral of the Story is: I Need to Go To More Dances


Some of you might have heard about the masquerade ball that a few friends and I attended on Friday. Talk about fun. The evening started out with getting ready. For me, getting ready is one of the most fun parts of the night. I wore a gown I had previously purchased for a play (in which I played a seductive countess), and a mask I had made two days earlier. Kelly came over and I helped her get into her outfit, after which I helped Kristina with her hair. Two of my guy friends had canceled at the last minute. I called up Andy to see if he wanted one of the tickets. After a little coaxing, he was game. Kelly, Kristina, and I went over to Brittany and Gwen's house to wait for them to get ready. To make a long story much more palatable to my ADD audience, when all of us arrived at the ball, it was amazing! Most people were in formals and it was looking a little reminiscent of Prom. However, a few individuals, including men, were in costumes. The main dancing area was devoted to top 40 hits and also dance grooves from previous years (including some that took me right back to those old stake dances). There was a room upstairs in which people were giving instruction in dances from the 17 and 1800's. However, with one boy, five girls, and little space, we didn't stay in that room long. One of my favorite moments of the entire evening was when the first slow song came on. We all were just sort of standing there looking at each other awkwardly. Finally, Andy says, "So, should we start a dance rotation or something?" Maybe you had to be there, but I thought it was quite funny. My dress was a bit cumbersome. I stepped on it routinely, as did those around me. When I tried foxtrotting with Andy, I virtually slipped and slid all over my dress, even occasionally accidentally pulling it down partially, then quickly grabbing it up. Luckily I had the most ginormous slip ever created underneath. I blame any bad foxtrotting on the dress and not on the fact that I haven't danced ballroom style in over 6 years. Afterwards, we went to IHOP, as all really awesome people do. However, by this point, my corset was digging into my sides (my sides still hurt all Saturday!). Overall, it was tons of fun. I've decided I want to go every year. But next time I want a man all to myself. Get working on that, will ya?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!