Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"I Enjoy Hiking, Fishing, Anything Outdoors"

As I have already confessed, I've been lackadaisically checking out online dating opportunities. One thing that has really stuck out to me is how about all of the "profiles" for men sound exactly the same. Seriously, every boy likes to fish, hike, run, hunt, etc. In fact, I will recreate a generic profile that could be used by any man on ldssingles.com.
"Hi, I'm new to this whole online thing,
but my friends told me I should try it out. I'm a really active person who enjoys hiking, climbing, biking, really anything outdoors. I'm looking for a kind, fun, laid back girl who likes to stay fit."

Now, let me translate this for you:

"Hi, I'm new to this whole online thing (I'm really a liar. Nobody is new to online things anymore), but my friends told me I should try it out (and obviously, I'm going to do it because I don't have an opinion or brain of my own). I'm a really active person (when I'm not surfing the net or playing video games) who enjoys hiking, climbing, biking, really anything outdoors. I'm looking for a kind (but no "sweet spirit" types), fun(but not too funny. She should be laughing at my jokes exclusively.), laid back (who still knows how to look really hot, but doesn't come with any
emotional baggage) girl who likes to stay fit (someone who could be mistaken for Angelina Jolie, or maybe even Natalie Portman. Needless to say, she should be really skinny and told she should go into modeling often)."
I've decided that there are two types of people doing online dating stuff: the people who have severe emotional/social dysfunctions which would normally prevent them from dating at all, and people who are so fabulous, but for some reason have gone unnoticed under other people's radars. You can decide for yourself where you think I fit.
I think it would be refreshing to read something completely different in an online profile, even if none of it was true.


For example:
Hi, I'm an ex-trapeze artist who has clown fear. My favorite hobbies are: badger chasing, picking my nose and flinging it on my roommates, swimming the English Channel (58 times and counting!). I studied in Ancient History, but am currently pursuing a career in taxidermy. I like to make movies as opposed to watching them, and I've been told by my friends that I'm really sensitive and smell like leather. I would definitely want to communicate with someone who'd write this!

6 comments:

Big Mama said...

you are so funny michelle. btw... have you ever checked out www.ldspromise.com I know of 3 people that have found their spouses on there. hehehe...

Wombat said...

My cousin just posted something along these lines the other day. Both are along the lines of guys wanting the perfect girl, but not realizing what that really means. Worth a quick look: http://texasrachrn.blogspot.com/2009/01/girls-dont-make-passes-at-boys-with.html

April

LaNell Brown said...

I am disappointed, when I saw the title I thought you were going to express your love for those activities and then we could hang out a ton this summer:)But that was hilarious, maybe you should take a 2nd job as creating online profiles for people. That would be awesome.

Shannon said...

This is why I love you- you never cease to crack me up. I think you certainly belong in the latter category 'cause you are by no means weird or socially inept. :)

Jonika said...

AMEN! and thank you. (ALL TRUE to those of you who don't know and us who were online but have left the lds singles sights because...not much is there)LOL

Carol Joy said...

Lol! Seriously the whole way through. I really wish that you could be a much larger part of my life right now! Ugh, someday we may be able to live in the same city (or at least state) again and see each other on a relatively regular basis...