Friday, February 27, 2009

The Math Musical: Grand Finale

If you were thinking this is going to be a post begging people to come help out with my "Math Musical," then you are about to be surprised. . . . it isn't.
What it actually is, is a chance for me to say thank you to everyone who did help out. I have been working on the concept/lyrics/recording/writing/filming/editing of this flick for the past six months. That's quite a while in my life. The word that keeps coming to mind is "EPIC." Normally I reserve the use of that word for films like "Lord of the Rings" or "Gone With the Wind." But I feel the "Math Musical" rates right up there. I mean, sure, if Peter Jackson had to do most of the work by himself, I bet he would have just as many continuity issues as I had.
Last night I presented the musical to my BYU professor. She had only listened to one song up until that point (I had to let her hear the song where I quote all my sources, because I'm just so stinkin' proud of those lyrics).
Afterwards, she came up to talk to me and said that the thing I should be the most proud of is the fact that I had so many colleagues and friends who were willing to help me film, especially considering some of the silly things I made them do.
At first I was slightly offended. Hadn't she seen my amazing editing skills? Hadn't she taken the hours of song writing and recording that went into it? Or the way it was burned creatively onto a dvd with a professional looking menu and everything? These were all things that I had been so proud of.
However, as I thought of it, out of all those things I was proud of, not one of them would make me a better person, or could show me how many great people are in my life. (Insert Hallmark Moment). All kidding aside, my friends are one of God's greatest blessings in my life. And it goes to show how amazing they are when they're willing to help out with a project like this. So, thanks everybody. It (and I) would have looked excessively pathetic if you hadn't been there.

P.S. Like I've said before, I can't post it on You tube due to issues if one of my students sees it. Therefore, if you wish to witness "Math Musical" in all of its glory, I'm just a phone call/text message/IM away.

4 comments:

Julianne said...

I hereby request a command performance. Because I am a princess. And I don't care if that's an oxymoron.

Lynnette said...

Your musical was fabulous! There aren't many people that could put together a video that was as good as yours. You are so talented. Thanks for letting me be part of it.

Mallory said...

Congraulations on the successful completion of the Math Musical. I can't wait to see it in all of its glory!

Jonika said...

I'll be counting the days til I get to view it! Congrats for it's completion. Maybe Carol and I need to go to your house and watch it together!