Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Officially Giving Up Younger Men

I'll admit it, I've been looking at online dating possibilities.
I know. You're ashamed, right? It's just that being 28 years old has opened my eyes to the fact that the majority of guys I've gone on dates with in the past few years have been quite a bit younger than I am. So, I'm broadening my horizons.
As I'm broadening my horizons, I thought it would be appropriate to share a top ten list I made a few months ago (when I was actually pursuing an older man).

Top Ten Reasons to Pursue an Older Man

10. I don't have to worry about paying his way through school.

9. He should already have a full set of pots, pans, and other kitchen supplies (which means the wedding reception would be gift card central!)

8. He has more emotional maturity than a turnip.

7. He won't mind my 40-year-old-esque body.

6. It's a good way to tick off my parents . . . really tick them off.

5. Because there's something a little "off" with all the younger ones.

4. He'll be fully capable of taking care of my massive backyard.

3. He comes from a generation where guys actually ask out (and spend time with) the girls they're interested in.

2. Because I'm tired of dating guys that just learned to shave.

1. It would be nice to actually know less than my man. (for both of us)

7 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. P said...

lol.. thats a great list!

Mallory said...

To copy a phrase from you: I heart you, Michelle!

Anonymous said...

Top Ten Reasons You Should Avoid Older Men Like The Plague

10. You don't have to worry about paying his way through school...which is good because you'll need the extra cash to help cover his alimony and child support payments.

9. He should already have a full set of pots, pans, and other kitchen supplies...because he's probably gay.

8. He has more emotional maturity than a turnip...and when dealing with older men you'll find that root vegetables are the right benchmark to use.

7. He won't mind your 40-year-old-esque body...because he'll be too consumed by his obsessional thoughts that he's still got a chance with Charlotte Johansson.

6. It's a good way to tick off your parents...but he should be able to win them over in the end. After all, since they were in the same graduating class, they'll have a lot in common.

5. Because there's something a little "off" with all the younger ones...whereas older men just smell a little "off."

4. He'll be fully capable of taking care of your massive backyard...which is good because you'll be looking for excuses to get him out of the house when he's driving you insane.

3. He comes from a generation where guys actually ask out (and spend time with) the girls they're interested in...even after they're married.

2. Because you're tired of dating guys that just learned to shave...and you'd rather spend time with men who need to learn to pluck.

1. It would be nice to actually know less than your man...and older men are so condescending they make you feel like an idiot no matter how intelligent you are.

Anonymous said...

Obviously, that should have been "Scarlett Johansson."

Forgive me. I was distracted by my obsessional thoughts about Keira Knightley...

Mishie Moo said...

Grettir, go figure that you would one-up my top ten list. If older men are just as bad as younger men, do I have any hope at all?
Maybe you shouldn't answer that question.
And Keira Knightley? Come on! She's built like a 13-year-old boy.

sarah.liz said...

Maybe the trick is to date "slightly older" men. :) You know, guys who are just between the gap like we are of MTV Generation and Gen X.... and you have no clue how scary it is to admit that you know both of those! o_0

Shannon said...

Grettir is funny.

If you're gonna look online, I highly recommend eharmony.com. There's a reason for the success stories on TV. So my fling from there didn't end well, but if it had, it woulda been good. :)

How's your gallbladder?