Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ode to Oroville

I've always considered coming home to be somewhat like re-charging batteries. Meaning that I get so busy, over-stressed, and down on myself during the year, and then I come home to our ranch and I have a week or two to regain my sanity (or whatever you might call the semblence of reality that I possess).
I went to our family's ward (the one I grew up in) this past Sunday, and I truly relished being surrounded by people that I believe truly helped shape me into who I am. Now, if you're not very happy about who I am, first of all, I have to wonder why you're reading my blog, and second of all, I would have some very wise statements to tell you containing words like beam and mote. But that is for another time. In a slight derailment from the normal sarcasm, I'd like to take a few minutes to sincerely point out some hidden gems in the city of Oroville:

1. My parents. I know, they're really not all that hidden. In fact, I think sometimes people might wish they would be a bit more stand-offish. However, I've never met anyone as generous in all my travels. On Sunday, my dad was driving all of us home from church and we had his hometeaching companion in the car with us. My mom was mentioning how we were going to be having spicy filled hot dogs for dinner. When the hometeaching companion mentioned how he thought that would be tasty, and my dad whole-heartedly agreed with him, my father then offered our dinner of spicy hot dogs to this 17 year old boy. My dad is so generous, he's willing to give away our dinner.
My parents are still trying to "get " me, which I think is humorous. My mom told me yesterday," Everyone says you're really funny, but I just see sarcasm." Thanks mom. But I know my parents love me. 'Nough said.

2. Susan Stutznegger and Peggy Taylor: Two of my favorite young women's leaders. You might think that's absolutely ridiculous, but when one is an awkward, homely, teenager (namely, me) it really means a lot when adults treat you like you're not so awkard and homely.

3. Marie Acebo and Becky Hancock: These gals are two gals who I can trust will tell me exactly what's on their mind, which is something I respect greatly and am still trying to perfect. What this means is that I know what they say is what they mean. And extra thanks goes to Becky for giving me one of the greatest compliments of my existence!

4. The Robertsons, Browns, Taylors, Jagodas, Meyers, Papas, and all the other parents of my friends growing up: These folks always take a moment to catch up with me when I visit and remind me of how good it feels to be home.

So there you have it: an honest to goodness shout out to my roots. As much as I poke fun at Oroville (though Oroville doesn't get offended, because it knows I poke fun at just about everyone) it will always hold a special place in my heart, as will its inhabitants (yes, even the cut-offs wearing folks visiting the local Walmart).

I will say, one thing that really surprised me was the amount of people that told me they read my blog. Even our Japanese foreign exchange student (Hi Noriko!) from 1998 wrote my parents telling them how my blog is a little difficult to read, but she struggles through anyway.


6 comments:

Carol Joy said...

Duh, it's because you're the best! ;) Love ya girl, we still have to figure out when/how/where the heck we're gonna all get together!

Angelee said...

amen

Big Mama said...

I love oroville and sometimes I wish we all still lived there together.... just like the good old days. BTW... are you still there in the ville? I want to see you!

Parley and Katie Call said...

Yay for Oroville!

MaRee said...

sOroville... the only place on earth where you don't need teeth, clean clothes, car or job. Walmart in Oroville... I actually saw Donna Fairbanks entering yesterday... she purports that she never goes to the Oroville Wally World but there she was. We all end up there sooner... mostly sooner. Its best on the first of the month. Its good for a lesson on "oh, how the mighty have fallen." No matter what I wear there I am overdressed.

And yes... I hail from Oroville and so do YOU.

Mishie Moo said...

And MaRee, I'm so sorry, I just realized that I misspelled your name in the blog entry. I'm sure you won't hold it against me. We Orovillians have to stick together.