Saturday, November 8, 2008

Just a Moment to Vent My Feelings

Normally, I wouldn't take time in this light, friendly blog to speak politically. Allow me to do so now. I am sick and tired of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being fingered for bringing down all civil rights in California and apparently everywhere else in the world. I have not been very active in the whole Prop 8 thing. However, lately it seems like everyone has something crappy to say about the gospel of Jesus Christ. When this thing all started, I was wondering why the church was getting involved in politics (I had only seen it happen once before...also in California when I was younger). However, after doing my research, I was able to find out why the leaders of our church took a stand. It's not about hating people (I have several homosexual friends who I adore, sometimes even more than some of my straight friends. I'm no hater). It's not about saying they shouldn't have rights. It's not about pushing the church's collective weight around to prove we've got power.
It's about protecting the sacred unit of "the family." It's about helping prevent society from applauding actions and relations that will not lead to eternal salvation.
People say the leaders of our church became much too involved. Well, if the prophet, seer, and revelator makes a move, I'm sure as heck going to follow it (it turns out he has a bit more perspective with the BIG GUY than I do). This campaign wasn't about immediate consequences, it's about the future. What this could do down the road, based on what it has done down the road in other countries.
At Institute this week we were talking about God's command for the children of Israel to utterly destroy the civilizations they came across. We also discussed the story of Lot, who pitched his tent facing the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, a symbol of his acceptance of the worldliness of those cities. If you aren't familiar with the fate of those cities, look it up in your Old Testament. There is a big difference between the gospel's idea of tolerance (loving your neighbor, doing good to those who persecute you, embracing the sinner but not the sin, etc.) and the world's idea of tolerance. An official statement from the church describes it as thus: "Instead of love, it has come to mean condone – acceptance of wrongful behavior as the price of friendship. Jesus taught that we love and care for one another without condoning transgression. But today’s politically palatable definition insists that unless one accepts the sin he does not tolerate the sinner. "
You might consider me an ignorant girl (I do, myself, most of the time) or you might agree with me. All I know is that I have an unshakable testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, in His prophet that directs the church today, and in His eternal truths (that means "unchanging"). No matter what you think, you'll never convince me otherwise.

So you might as well save your breath and your hate.


For more information please visit this official statement from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

6 comments:

Angelee said...

amen sister. well said. i agree 100%

LaNell Brown said...

that was a good speech I have been feeling the same way. Once I did the research it was completely obvious why the church took a stance for proposition 8.

The Barth Family Blog said...

I sure wish everyone would settle down out here and just agree to disagree on this issue!
By the way, you've been tagged. Take a look at my blog to learn more. :)

Caitlin said...

That was great! I totally agree with you. The LDS church wasn't the only church to get involved yet it seems to be the only church getting any grief.

Big Mama said...

Um, you need to move back to Cali. WE need more awesome people like you! Seriously!! Come back... I know you watn too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree - I think many people forget that those for prop 8 are thinking of the children and family and what is best for them