Sunday, October 12, 2008

Celebrating Anne (With an E)

It was Jenny Morrise's brain child. She told us one evening that she was thinking about holding an "Anne of Green Gables" party. Well, the people who were around immediately started brainstorming what sorts of things could be done at a party like that. Since Jenny was open to ideas, we contributed them. I immediately called dibs on coming as Marilla. Christina wanted to be Anne (which is extra appropriate because of the red hair), Julianne decided to go as Katherine Brooks, and then Mallory, Jenni, and Jenny came as "friends of Anne," though we did assign them identities over the course of the evening. We started out at Julianne's house and walked a couple blocks (in costume) to Jenni Morrise's house to pick up a canoe (literally). We wanted to reenact the scene from the movie when Anne floats down the river reciting the "Lady of Shalott." Trouble was, we had to carry the canoe to the river. Which wasn't so bad, but it meant we had to carry it about four blocks, walking along Geneva road for a big chunk of that. By the end of our little walk, there were three girls who had their entire top halves inside the canoe, with me on the outside, steering. Once we found a little place along the Provo River Trail to put the canoe in, we found that the water was much too shallow to actually float anywhere, but we did take advantage and have a few photos.


















And you can see my awesome Marilla costume:
You won't be able to notice my face, but I put faint age lines to help me look a bit older. I must not have done a very good job, however, because Julianne originally thought it was war paint.

When we returned to Julianne's house, we ate dinner, watched a little "Anne," had some poetry read/recited by Julianne and Jenni, and then a few of us were ready for the puffed sleeve competition. Which wasn't really a competition, but in the end we all decided that Jenni won, because she had incorporated cute ribbons onto her sleeves.
The first set of sleeves I made were disappointingly non-puffy. The second set I made were so puffy, the material could not hold itself up and I looked like I had really saggy arms. However, if I got my hands on some fiberfill, those would have been pretty amazing.


The last activity of the evening was the making of graham cracker houses. They were supposed to look like Green Gables, and I felt like mine was a decent representation.

Moral of the story: I'm a relatively silly person, and I'm glad I have friends who feel they are relatively silly people as well, who can get together and do relatively silly things in an organized fashion. Huzzah!

7 comments:

reddladybug said...

you guys (or gals) are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your party sounded like so much fun. I especially liked the fact that you actually carried the canoe to the river and took pictures of Anne laying in the canoe.

Than and Erica said...

Hey Michelle--I hope that your audition for the Hale went really well. Than and I love that show. It would be so awesome if you were in it!

Mikila said...

I don't even know what to say. I'm just sitting here laughing on the verge of tears! Who has an Anne of Green Gables day, really I'm just jealous that I didn't get invited but it doesn't look like Gilbert Blythe showed up. YOu are histerical! Have a good day!

Carol Joy said...

Michelle, you never cease to amaze me! Dang, you girls are awesome, bytheway I love that you were older than 13 when you had your Anne party! Tehe. People here sometimes think I'm crazy I think when I dress for things. Like I mildly dressed up for dodgeball a couple weeks ago. But I've got nothing on you! Haha. I'm actually jealous of this party and sad I didn't happen to be there. Love ya! (and don't worry, I'll be showing my friends your blog entry so they can be jealous too)

Shannon said...

Oh, my gosh, that sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I'm glad I have such an incredibly cool friend as you!

Carol Joy said...

Haha, just looked this up again because I just had to show Alessandra since the Lady of Shallot part just came up as I was watching AoGG...oh how lovely!!