Thursday, October 9, 2008

Auditioning at the Hale

Augh! I'm sitting in between parent conferences right now, anticipating my first audition for the Hale Center Theater in Orem. Those of you familiar with the Provo-Orem area are aware that Hale is quite a step up from the Scera (where I've done a few shows-- all minor roles). However, one of my favorite directors (Jerry Elison) who directed me in "Oliver!" and "Pride and Prejudice" is directing "A Christmas Carol" at the Hale. Last year, after auditions were over, I ran into Jerry at another show I was in. He asked me why I hadn't auditioned for his show. I informed him of how I considered the Hale to be more of a pipe dream. His reply? "If I'm directing, you should try out."
So, I really shouldn't be nervous, right? Unfortunately, my nerves rarely listen to my logic (they do listen to classic rock occasionally, however.) This morning, I was running out my door being slightly late for work, when I realized I'd forgotten my song book (which contained the song I would be singing for the audition). This wouldn't normally be a problem except that I'm going straight from parent teacher conferences to the audition (and I'll be auditioning in my new gray pant suit also, thanks to the afore mentioned situation.)
Anyway, I ran back inside, grabbed one of my song books and stumbled out the door. Come to find five minutes later, I grabbed the wrong book. No worries, I just have to make sure one of these other songs is perfected. No stress. . .
Now that I've informed everyone I know about auditions, I'll be sure to tell you all of my shame when I find out that I'm not cast in the show. Not to be a pessimist or anything, but have you seen the shows I'm in normally (when I'm in a starring role???)? 'Nough said.

3 comments:

Mallory said...

Good luck, Michelle!

LaNell Brown said...

you will be great at the audition, I think it is hilarious how you are always late for work. I love how we used to always leave at the same time. Now I leave by myself. LAME!!

Mallory said...

I realized later that I probably should have said, "break a leg." I'm sure you did a great job, anyway!