Friday, February 18, 2011

The Joys of Camping!


Every year I get to go camping in the snow with my fifth graders. I love it. It's crazy tiring, but the kids have such a good time, I can't help but love it.
However, this year was a little interesting. It started the week before when life got a little strenuous. I won't go into details, but let it suffice that my mind was on several things at the same time. I didn't even pack for camping until the night before. It was around 10 o'clock at night when I tried to get everything together.
This was apparent by the next day, when we arrived at Clear Creek Camp and I started to unpack. Here are the things I forgot (you may determine the importance):
-toothbrush
-towel
-gloves
-hat
-fire wood (for our nightly campfire)

However, all of my makeup made it into the suitcase, along with hair supplies (curling iron, hairspray, thermal setting spray, split end repair, etc.). And I took complete outfits for every day I'd be there (three days= three ensembles)
Day one, I used paper towels to dry myself off from my shower.
Day two, I used my "Jem and the Holograms" sweatshirt.

We borrowed firewood for our first night's campfire and, after teaching the boys how to build the perfect fire, one of the dad volunteers dumped diesel fuel onto the logs to ensure a good blaze. At first I felt this was cheating, but I was willing to go along with it because the winds were crazy and the fire pit was covered in ice with several inches of snow.
With the gals, I was all excited because the wind had died down and nobody would be telling me that I had to pour diesel fuel in order for it to work. I built the fire up, it was burning awesomely. 5 minutes later, it was a pile of coals. I try again, start from the beginning. Get a fantastic blaze going that burns for 15 minutes before it goes to poo. By this time, all of the girls have arrived at the campfire and I'm supposed to lead songs and stories. I ask the other teachers to help out. One throws a log on (which would accomplish nothing), and the other pokes at it with a stick causing the entire structure to fall over. For the next 40 minutes we sang songs while two of the mom volunteers blew on the coals with minimum results.

Moral of the story: I might be a failure at campfires.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Clear Creek! I have SUCH good (and a couple of bad) memories of that place! I'm glad you're one of the teachers who goes, because I can just see you having a great time...despite the campfire. :)