Monday, February 15, 2010

My Favorite Valentine's Memory

In the past, Valentine's Day has been a bit of a bitter day for me, usually filled with an unhealthy dose of sarcasm. I'm proud to report that this year I felt this strange sense of contentment. Perhaps it was because I was surrounded by great gal pals (it's very easy to think of oneself as a strong, single woman when hanging around several strong, single women).
Though there were some fantastic events that helped as well.
First, Saturday afternoon my friends (Mallory, Julianne, Jenni, Christina, and Megan) and I went to see "Young Victoria" (which is a great love story, by the way). Afterwards we went to one of my favorite restaurants, Gloria's Little Italy. The sad thing was that Gloria's had replaced their regular menu with an exclusive Valentine's Day menu. The only option was to get a 5 course meal for $30. Not my style. We just got dessert, and this dashing, young violin player came over to us (there were only three other guests at the time). He asked if we had any requests, to which I promptly replied, "I Will Survive" (in a very tongue-in-cheek manner). Go figure, he actually played it for me. I had to hum the beginning for him, but he did the rest. Isn't that so cool?! He let us make a few more requests, but put his foot down when "Single Ladies" was mentioned. I left him a tip when we were done.
Yesterday, my friend McKay brought me several valentines. He is extremely gifted when it comes to using a computer, and has a tradition of creating valentines that incorporate his face into pop culture images. I've decided to post a few of my favorites. Anyway, catching up with him made my day, and the valentines were just icing on the cake.
I hope that everyone had a great Valentine's Day, whether it was spent with someone you love or on your own.

2 comments:

Big Mama said...

I've always hated Valentine's Day because I think it's so fake...but I was actually excited for it this year. Well, both Jason and I ended up being sick so it was a miserable weekend. To me Valentine's represents buying yourself a box of chocolates and scarfing it down without feeling guilty. And that, we did.

The Barth Family Blog said...

Those are the coolest valentines!!