Friday, May 8, 2009

The Bane of My Otherwise Enjoyable Existence


My students have been taking the end of the year CRT tests this past week. These are the tests that are supposed to be seeing that they've learned and remembered everything they're supposed to in fifth grade. Last year all of my kids passed their 4th grade one with flying colors. I just got done looking at this year's math test. It's a BEAST!!! Just when I think I've got the test figured out from past years, and I try to help my students (all year long) to see the kind of questions they ask on the test (though I need to state that I don't share actual test questions with the students, but I do get them familiar with "testing language"), we get a new test, with completely different problems.
And you know what? It's harder. I can't go into specifics ('cause that's against the law, and I could actually lose my job over it), but I have to say, I'm crossing my fingers and saying prayers over and over that my kids will perform their best. They are all really bright kids, but this test has a way of making really bright kids look not so bright.
Wish me luck.