Saturday, April 11, 2009

Top Ten Easter Memories


So, Easter's tomorrow, and I don't really have anything special planned to celebrate it. Jenni and I are singing in our Stake Sacrament meeting, but that's not really a celebration. More of a penalty. But the season has caused me to think on times past and the Easters of my childhood. (Insert the Ghost of Easter Past):

10. Racing Mike and Tina down the stairs to try and find all the Easter eggs. Since I was 8 and they were 16 and 15 respectively, I was clueless as to how much they didn't care about Easter eggs.


9. Making an Easter bunny cake for my "Secret Grandmother" Myrtle Carlin. I love that gal! She would actually write me back notes (even though she didn't know who her "Secret Granddaughter" was at the time. She now knows, so don't worry about letting the cat out of the bag). But yeah, that Easter bunny cake looked awesome.


8. Being amazed (and, to tell you the truth, I'm still somewhat amazed) by the idea of putting those plastic wrappers on eggs and then boiling them to make the plastic shrink and stick to the egg. I want to say that they're called Shrinky Dinks, but I know I'm wrong.


7. Most of the childhood Easters I remember were after Mike and Tina were out of the house and onto having futures and whatnot. But I remember very clearly sitting down, just Mom and I, to dye all the Easter eggs. We made sure to decorate one for everyone in the family (even extended family) so we could deliver them on Easter morning. Good times.

6. This is actually a memory from my mission. Pennsylvania is the only place I've ever seen that takes EVERY single holiday as seriously as most people take Christmas. It was in Pennsylvania (Cannonsburg to be specific) that I first saw Easter trees, which consist of hanging Easter eggs, ribbons, and confetti on all the trees in the front yard.


5. Going to visit Grandma. I can still hear her calling out "Oh my. Don't you look beautiful!" This world needs more grandmas.


4.HAM!!!! Yep, I said it, and now you're salivating. Sucker!


3. The hunt for the perfect Easter dress. I remember there was a particular year where mom and I couldn't find anything. Finally, we found a little dress in a store called "The Hole in the Wall," which was in downtown Oroville, and actually was a hole in the wall.

2. And speaking of the perfect Easter dress, they mostly came from "Miniworld" (I think that was the name of the place). Most of my dresses (up until I was 10 years old) had a crinoline petticoat under them, to help keep that Shirley Temple-esque shape. Why didn't anyone tell my mom those are only cute on girls 5 and under! Shame on all of you Orovillians.


1. And still speaking of dresses, I was able to convince Mom to buy me an Easter dress as recently as last year. Old habits die hard, but thanks Mom, I still love it!

No comments: