Monday, February 1, 2010

I'm Not Josie Grossie Anymore!


Or maybe I am, just a little. . . still.
When I first saw the movie "Never Been Kissed" and the character of Josie Gellar in high school, I thought I was looking at a recording from my middle school years. I was Josie Grossie back then,with my hair hanging in clumps and my bangs covering my right eye.
I'm willing to admit this because I feel like I've come a long way since then.
At least I did until just recently. You see, I went to a masquerade ball this last weekend. It was a lot of fun last year (I blogged about it then) and I decided I wanted to find an amazing gown for this year's ball. I ordered it online to be custom built to my measurements. And I wanted it dark green.
When the dress arrived, it was not even close to dark green. In fact, this odd green/red combination was a bit hideous to me at first. Also, I had asked for cap sleeves, and got puffy ones instead. When I put it on, the first thing I thought was "Oh no, this is Josie Gellar's dress." I then had to look it up on the internet to make sure I was thinking about her dress correctly.
I was.

The ball was a ton of fun, mostly thanks to Andy who was such a gentleman despite my lack of ballroom dancing finesse. My friend, Ruth, had been taking pictures during the ball, and she showed me them afterwards when we all went to eat at IHOP.
From the angles she took the photos from (usually the front), I was horrified because I thought I looked like I was wearing an 80's prom dress.
Luckily, when I got back home and looked at my pictures of the evening, I was consoled. Though I still see similarities.














Moral of the story? Masquerades are fun and it's nice to grow up. At least a little.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

When I saw your pictures on facebook I thought your dress was AMAZING and that you looked TOTALLY HOT!!! Josie Grossie never crossed my mind!

Carol Joy said...

Same here. ;) Looks like you had fun.

Big Mama said...

I think we were all Josie Grossie's. ;-) The important thing is, we aren't anymore. WEll, sometimes! BTW... I think the dress looks beautiful on you! The neckline reminds me of Winter Formal. hahahaa

Dallas and Kirsten said...

You DO NOT look like Josie Grosie! Your dress is amazing! I absolutely LOVE the back!

imemary said...

Your description of the dress left me feeling trepidatious (which is TOO a word, spell checker), but you actually look quite lovely.